One of the most common questions I get asked is: Why do we need to fix them? They are just baby teeth!
Baby teeth are just as important as adult teeth. Here are some of the reasons why:
1) To Chew their food, 2) To Speak their words, 3) Give their face shape, and 4) To Hold space for their adult teeth.
Keeping your baby’s teeth healthy from the start is so important for the overall development of their mouth.
- If a child has cavities, eating sweet, cold, or hot foods can cause pain. This may make it difficult to chew their food and to get proper nutrition.
- If a child has lost their front teeth prematurely due to trauma, speech development may be effected resulting in a speech impediment.
- As teeth and jaws develop, they give our face structure.
- One of the most important reasons for baby teeth is Maintaining Space for Permanent Teeth. Baby teeth hold the space open for permanent teeth to come into. If the baby tooth is lost prematurely or even the width of the tooth decreases because of decay, this can result in loss of overall space for the permanent tooth. The permanent tooth can become impacted (or stuck) in the jaw and unable to erupt (come in) at all or create crowding of he permanent teeth resulting in the need for braces.
Remember: BABY TEETH ARE IMPORTANT!!!
If you have any questions, please contact our office at (317) 831-3370.